How it works:
- Not common, but drinks have been spiked with Rohypnol with some robbed and some assaulted.
- A need to protect yourself:
- Situation: female victims have been arrested and charged when they report the crime.
- Past cases: an Australian woman was detained in jail for 8 months in 2008 and a Norwegian woman was sentenced to 16 months in jail in 2013.
- Explanations: the cultural perception that by drinking, you are asking for it; negative racial stereotypes towards Western women; large number of fake rape claims, etc.
Places to beware:
What to do:
- Do not accept drinks that you have not seen made in front of you. Do not leave it unattended.
- Canned or bottled drinks are recommended as it is more difficult for someone to put a sedative inside.