How it works:
- At temples, touts will latch on to you to provide an unsolicited tour, seemingly for free.
- This is likely going to be a short, low quality tour where an inflated tip is demanded at the end.
Places to beware:
- Ayutthaya: Ayutthaya Historical Park
- Bangkok: Wat Pho, Wat Phra Kaew
- Chiang Mai: Wat Chedi Luang
- Pattaya: Prasat Sut Ja-Tum
What to do:
- There may be good unofficial guides but in general, they are not properly trained for it. Get a licensed, reputable guide instead.
- Offline operators: ask – is the operator licensed? Is there a website, office and working phone number? Are there real online reviews? What does the price cover – is it too cheap?
- Online platforms: Klook (best day tour platform in Asia) also has many popular tours (e.g. Bangkok’s Grand Palace, Pattaya’s The Sanctuary of Truth, Chiang Rai’s Black House White Temple and Blue Temple, etc), or check out this page for the best tours in Thailand.