How it works:
- Version 1: compensation is demanded for non-existent damages” or those not caused by you.
- Version 2: the company sends someone with a spare key to steal your parked motorbike. You are then forced to compensate the “lost” bike.
Places to beware:
- Chiang Mai
- Ko Pha-ngan
- Ko Tao
What to do:
- Only use reputable operators and do not hand over your passport as collateral. If you have to, use an old passport or a photocopy.
- Inspect the bike before and take photos/videos of it.
- Use two of your own padlocks to secure the bike.