How it works:
- Opening: at red light districts, you will be hassled by touts to watch a ping pong show (a form of sex show). They claim that there is no entry fee and drinks cost only 100 Baht. Next, you will be led to a shady, nameless bar upstairs/off the main streets.
- Version 1: girls will join your table and order expensive “lady drinks” on your tab. As the show begins, you are asked to tip generously for every trick performed.
- Version 2: even if no girls were to join your table, you will still be hit with an inflated bill. This is due to hidden fees such as cover charge. Even if the tout promised otherwise initially, the staff will claim not to know the tout.
Places to beware:
- Bangkok: Patpong
- Chiang Mai: Ta Pae Gate
- Pattaya: Walking Street Pattaya
- Phuket: Bangla street
What to do:
- Avoid such activities especially if travelling alone.
- Keep a separate bank account just for traveling with cash in there which you can give up if threatened.