How it works:
- Version 1: a tout tells you that the Wat Pho/Grand Palace is closed. However, he can offer you a discounted price on his friend’s longtail boat to explore Bangkok’s famous khlongs and floating markets which are only open today! What happens is that you will be led to the tourist boat and charged 3-4x the normal price.
- Version 2: a tout claims that the boat is leaving and that you need to hurry. He offers to send you to the pier on a bike, but actually brings you to a more expensive boat.
Places to beware:
- Ayutthaya: Chao Praya River
- Bangkok: Wat Pho/Grand Palace, Wat Arun, Chao Phraya River, Sathorn Pier, Taling Chan Floating Market
- Pattaya: Bali Hai Pier
What to do:
- Offline operators: ask – is the operator licensed? Is there a website, office and working phone number? Are there real online reviews? What does the price cover – is it too cheap?
- Online platforms: Klook (best day tour platform in Asia) has many popular floating market tours too.