How it works:
- Situation: after returning your jet ski, the operator finds certain “damages”. He then demands you pay a substantial repair fee and a bunch of burly men will appear. These are generally mafia members. Police officers may not help if they have been bribed.
- Set-up: one technique used is to apply water soluble paint on the jet-ski. Once it’s brought out onto the water, the paint wears away.
Places to beware:
- Ko Samui: Chaweng Beach
- Pattaya: Pattaya Beach, Jomtien Beach, Koh Lan, Beach Road
- Phuket: Patong Beach, Bang Tao Beach, Karon Beach
What to do:
- Never give your passport as collateral.
- Inspect the equipment before use and take pictures and videos.
- If threatened with an unwarranted repair fee, call the local tourist police at 1155.
- Engage an operator recommended by your hotel/hostel, or use day tour platforms like Klook (best in Asia).