How it works:
- Version 1: two fake officers ask to see your passport. Something wrong is found with your visa and you will be asked to pay a fine on the spot.
- Version 2: fake officers also target smokers at Sukhumvit Road and litterbugs at metro stations. Should you be caught throwing a cigarette butt or any litter on the floor, even if by accident, the scammer will “issue” a fine of 2,000 Baht to you.
- Version 3: fake officers who direct you to a fake visa office at the Cambodia – Thailand border crossing.
Places to beware:
- Aranyaprathet: Aranyaprathet – Poipet Border
- Bangkok: Sukhumvit Road, metro stations, MBK Centre
What to do:
- Be skeptical: if you have not broken the law.
- Three steps: verify badges and threaten to call the police. Never give your passport – only show a photocopy. Only comply at a police station with a lawyer/someone from your embassy.
- Valuables: hide in a money belt/hidden pouch and use a cheap spare wallet with little cash which can be given up.