How it works:
- Version 1: officers hang around at the Soi Cowboy area in Bangkok catching tourists or motorists who look high/drunk. They ask if you have had drugs/drinks and demand that you do a pee test/breath analyzer test. If not, you can choose to pay a large fine.
- Version 2: being fined for a traffic offence which you have not committed, e.g. speeding, changing lanes too quickly, parking at the wrong place (e.g. Jungceylon in Phuket), etc.
- Version 3: if you were to go to a tourist establishment that does not keep up a regular bribe payment to the local police and you are unlucky, corrupt officers may target the place when you are there.
Places to beware:
What to do:
- Follow all laws: e.g. wear helmet, keep to speed limit, have a driving license.
- Tactics (make yourself difficult): buy time by pretending not to understand the local language, be creative and talk nonsense back, ask for a receipt, to pay at a police station, etc.
- Negotiate: if those fail, negotiate the bribe.