How it works:
- Someone spills a liquid resembling bird poo on your clothes or jacket. Next, strangers appear to help you clean it.
- While you are distracted, they pick your pockets or steal any unattended bags.
Places to beware:
What to do:
- React: push away anyone who tries to get close, quickly move to a safe spot and while doing so, check that your valuables are still intact.
- Passport: carry a photocopy instead of the actual one.
- Valuables: wallet in front pocket, small valuables in a money belt/hidden pouch, large valuables in an anti-theft bag.
- Travel insurance: get a good one that covers theft – check out the various travel insurance comparison platforms to find the best deal that works for you.