How it works:
- Situation: this borders between a marketing trick and a borderline scam.
- Set-up: at some restaurants near the Fisherman's Wharf in Tamsui, a "cooking fee" is charged for each course. This is not a scam however - whether it is depends on how transparent the restaurant is in disclosing it.
Places to beware:
- Tapei: Tamsui Fisherman's Wharf
What to do:
- Eat at reputable places (use food review apps like iPeen, Fon Food) and avoid those promoted by touts.
- Check the menu (prices, fine print), clarify if any extra charges and check an itemized bill.
- Alternatively, Klook (best day tours platform in Asia) has some food tours.