How it works:
- Situation: to enter temples, shoes have to be taken off. You can bring them around in a plastic bag or leave at a rack which is usually free/included in the ticket price.
- Scam 1: “shoe minders” claim that you cannot carry them around and will charge you a fee for looking after it.
- Scam 2: some even charge you for both depositing and collecting it.
Places to beware:
- Colombo: Gangaramaya (Vihara) Buddhist Temple
- Kandy: Temple of the Sacred Tooth Relic, Bahiravokanda Vihara Buddha Statue
What to do:
- Carry them around or pay/donate if it’s a legitimate rule.