How it works:
- Version 1: claiming that the meter is down and then charging an inflated flat fare.
- Version 2: taking a longer route or drive through a traffic jam to inflate the fare.
- Version 3: claiming no transfer buses and that you have to take a cab.
Places to beware:
- Arugam Bay
What to do:
- Avoid: taxis at tourist spots (e.g. Colombo Fort Railway Station).
- Photo: take a photo of the taxi number and driver’s license
- Overcharging: ensure meter is turned on or research a fair price to negotiate with – check online fare estimators, your hotel/hostel staff or taxi booking apps (e.g. PickMe).
- Longhauling: be very clear when communicating your destination. Check your phone’s GPS to see if you are headed in the correct direction, though detours may be taken to avoid jams.
- Alternative: GetYourGuide (leading day tours platform globally) has 8 transport options.