How it works:
- Unlicensed safari tour agencies advertise low prices or use touts, tuk-tuk drivers and taxi drivers to pull you into their tours.
- These tours are cheap for a reason – they skimp on safety (e.g. transport), not bring you to all places as promised, spend little time at attractions, add hidden fees, etc.
Places to beware:
- Tissamaharama: Yala National Park
What to do:
- Offline operators: ask – is the operator licensed? Is there a website, office and working phone number? Are there real online reviews? What does the price cover – is it too cheap?
- Online platforms: GetYourGuide (leading day tours platform globally) also has some popular safari tours (e.g. Kandy and Nuwara Eliya, Yala National Park, etc).
- Paying: avoid paying in full upfront (unless reputable operator) or off the (online) platform.