How it works:
- They work in a gang – one onlooker, one blocks, pushes, distracts, or engages you, one grabs and the final hides the loot under a cover (e.g. jacket/newspaper) and escapes.
Places to beware:
- Colombo: Kelaniya Raja Maha Vihara, Mount Lavinia Beach, Galle Face Green, Temple of Sri Kailawasanathan Swami Devasthanam Kovil, Pettah, Colombo Fort, St Anthony’s Church Kochikade Colombo, Pettah Floating Market
- Galle: Jungle Beach
- Kandy: Temple of the Sacred Tooth Relic, Bahiravokanda Vihara Buddha Statue, Kandy View Point
- Matala: Sigiriya World Heritage Site
What to do:
- Passport: carry a photocopy instead of the actual one.
- Valuables: wallet in front pocket, small valuables in a money belt/hidden pouch, large valuables in an anti-theft bag.
- Travel insurance: get a good one that covers theft – check out the various travel insurance comparison platforms to find the best deal that works for you.