How it works:
- Situation: most are honest and authorities have cracked down on overcharging, though there are still some rogue ones:
- Version 1: charging an inflated flat fare – usually to and from the airport and shopping malls.
- Version 2: taking a detour or longer route to inflate the fare.
Places to beware:
What to do:
- Avoid: taxis at tourist spots (e.g. Seoul: Dongdaemun Shopping Complex).
- Photo: take a photo of the taxi number and driver’s license.
- Overcharging: ensure meter is turned on or research a fair price to negotiate with – check Naver Maps, your hotel/hostel staff or taxi booking apps (e.g. KakaoTaxi and Uber).
- Longhauling: be very clear when communicating your destination. Check your phone’s GPS to see if you are headed in the correct direction, though detours may be taken to avoid jams.
- Alternative: Klook (best day tour platform in Asia) has 30+ other transport options.