How it works:
- Situation: in 2012, the Chosun IIbo (news organization) investigated and exposed blatant overcharging practices at pojangmachas (covered street carts). It was a nationwide story and spurred action by the government.
- Version 1: not labeling prices and then overcharging.
- Version 2: charging an additional inflated “service fee”.
- Version 3: claiming prices on the menu are outdated and then charging you more.
Places to beware:
- Busan: Seomyeon Food Alley
- Seoul: Myeongdong Shopping Street, Namdaemun
What to do:
- Items: familiarize yourself with the prices by visiting different shops.
- Food: eat at reputable places (use food review apps like Mangoplate) and avoid those promoted by touts.
- Check: menu (prices, fine print), itemized bill, and do not eat what was not ordered.
- Alternative: Klook (best day tours platform in Asia) has a couple of food tours.