How it works:
- There are fake electronics (easy to tell) and fake designer products (some not so easy to tell) peddled.
- There was even a case of fake cosmetics sold by a store in Ewha Womans University – they were caught as the practice of only allowing foreigners to buy was a big red flag.
- You may also encounter sellers claiming that they are selling a one-of-a-kind item which has some historic or unique value and so are expensive.
Places to beware:
- Seoul: Dongdaemun, Myeondong, Itaewon
What to do:
- For high value items like electronics, buy from established retailers instead.