How it works:
- Situation: taxis in Singapore are highly reliable and scams are rare, though there have still been cases.
- Version 1: charging an excessive surcharge.
- Version 2: returning Malaysian Ringgit (lower value) as change.
- Version 3: at night, drivers in town may reject you if you are going out of town, as they usually have to make an “empty” trip back to town for passengers. Hence, they will claim that they are changing shifts and are unable to drive out of town.
Places to beware:
- Central areas
What to do:
- If you face problems getting a taxi, use a taxi booking apps like GoJek, Grab or ComfortDelGro Taxi instead.