How it works:
- Tricks (mostly around seafood at touristy areas):
- Scam 1: misleading prices.
- Scam 2: misleading portion sizes.
- Scam 3: menus without prices/not in English.
- Charged SGD $239 for 8 tiger prawns at Newton Food Circus Hawker Center.
- Charged $128/kg for fish and $208/kg for Alaskan King Crab at Forum Seafood Restaurant.
Places to beware:
- Seafood restaurants at Boat Quay
- Newton Food Circus Hawker Center (past case appears to be an isolated one)
What to do:
- Choose: reputable places (use food review apps: Burpple, HungryGoWhere), avoid touts.
- Seafood: reputable names include Jumbo Seafood, Red House Seafood, Palm Beach Seafood, etc.
- Check: menu (prices, fine print), itemized bill, and do not eat what was not ordered.
- Alternative: Klook (best day tours platform in Asia) has a couple of food tours.