How it works:
- Situation: despite being extremely safe, 4,000+ cases of shop thefts and pickpockets are still reported annually. These are usually perpetrated by foreign crime syndicates during festive/peak travel periods.
- Method: they work in a gang – one onlooker, one blocks, pushes, distracts, or engages you, one grabs and the final hides the loot under a cover (e.g. jacket/newspaper) and escapes.
Places to beware:
- Singapore Flyer, Supertree Grove, Chinatown, Orchard Road, Battlebox, Arab Street, Little India, Mustafa Centre, Kuan Yin Thong Hood Cho Temple, Sri Mariamman Temple, People’s Park Complex, Geylang Serai
What to do:
- Passport: carry a photocopy instead of the actual one.
- Valuables: wallet in front pocket, small valuables in a money belt/hidden pouch, large valuables in an anti-theft bag.
- Travel insurance: get a good one that covers theft – check out the various travel insurance comparison platforms to find the best deal that works for you.