How it works:
- Offline: scammers have used forged donation permits and self-made donation tins to solicit on the streets; fliers claiming to represent charities have also been passed around.
- Online: fake fundraising campaigns on FaceBook and crowdfunding sites.
Places to beware:
What to do:
- Guidance by Singapore’s Charities Unit of the Ministry for Culture, Community and Youth:
- Collector’s certificate: they should have a NCSS-issued sample certificate and SPF sample certificate.
- SMS Verification Service: SMS FR<space><licence/certificate number or organisation name>” to 79777. E.g. “FR 2011003000”, “FR L/HH/001111/2011” or “FR Charity Limited”.
- Online Verification: via Charity Portal, NCSS Website or SPF Website
- QR Code Verification (issued permits only): Scan the code with your smartphone.