How it works:
- Version 1: intercepting you before you reach the official taxi counter/queue.
- Version 2: a well-dressed man posing as an airport/government staff asks to see your passport. He then brings you to someone at a desk who pretends to scrutinize it. Next, you will be brought to an unlicensed taxi where an inflated fare will be charged.
Places to beware:
- Jeddah: King Abdulaziz International Airport
- Medina: Prince Mohammad bin Abdulaziz International Airport
What to do:
- Situation: they may be fine, but you have to accept the risks (overcharging, no insurance coverage, beaten down car, potentially being robbed).
- Photo: if you engage, take a photo of the car plate and the driver’s license.
- Official taxis: stick to the queue. There are standard, fixed fees set by the government for cabs at the airport displayed at the parking area.