How it works:
- Version 1: claiming that the meter is down and quoting you an inflated flat fare.
- Version 2: taking a longer route or detour to inflate the fare.
- Version 3: short changing or claiming no change.
- Anywhere (e.g. tourist attractions, hotels, airports, transportation hubs)
What to do:
- Avoid: taxis at tourist spots.
- Photo: take a photo of the taxi number and driver’s license.
- Overcharging: ensure meter is turned on or research a fair price to negotiate with – check online fare estimators, your hotel/hostel staff or taxi booking apps (e.g. Uber, Careem and Easy Taxi).
- Longhauling: be very clear when communicating your destination. Check your phone’s GPS to see if you are headed in the correct direction, though detours may be taken to avoid jams.