How it works:
- Version 1: claim that the meter is spoilt and so charge an inflated flat fare, or forgetting to turn on the meter.
- Version 2: rigged meter (batingting) which jumps too fast or jumps too much.
- Version 3: taxi driving off with your luggage.
- Version 4: driving a distance before two accomplices hop onto the taxi and rob you.
Places to beware:
- Metro Manila
What to do:
- Avoid: taxis at tourist spots (e.g. Manila Ocean Park).
- Photo: take a photo of the taxi number and driver’s license.
- Overcharging: ensure meter is turned on or research a fair price to negotiate with – check online fare estimators, your hotel/hostel staff or taxi booking apps (e.g. MiCab, Grab).
- Rigged meter red flags: tampered/missing meter seal, only fare is displayed, driver clicking a hidden switch, driving slowly at a high speed area to prevent meter from jumping wildly.
- Alternative: Klook (best day tour platform in Asia) has 30+ other transport options.