How it works:
- Version 1: having your seats slashed and with an exorbitant amount demanded for repairs.
- Version 2: claiming an exorbitant repair fee for minor scratches and dents not caused by you, or renting out an already damaged bike and then charging you for repairs.
- Version 3: renting a stolen motorbike or an illegally registered one and getting caught by the police.
Places to beware:
What to do:
- Rent from a reputable shop or your hotel/hostel and do not hand over your passport as collateral.
- Inspect before use and take photos and videos.
- Ask for paperwork that shows the shop as the rightful owner of the bike.