How it works:
- They work in a gang – one onlooker, one blocks, pushes, distracts, or engages you, one grabs and the final hides the loot under a cover (e.g. jacket/newspaper) and escapes.
Places to beware:
- Antipolo: Shrine of Our Lady of Peace and Good Voyage
- Bacolod: Capitol Lagoon Park
- Cebu: Basilica del Santo Nino, Colon Street, Museo Sugbo
- Bohol: Chocolate Hills Natural Monument
- Boracay: White Beach, D’Mall
- Davao: People’s Park
- Metro Manila: San Agustin Church, Intramuros, Fort Santiago, Robinsons Place Mall, Rizal Park, Manila Cathedral, Divisoria Market, Manila Bay, Quiapo Church, Chinatown, Paco Park, San Sebastian Church, Chinese Cemetery, Binondo Church, Malate District, Greenbelt Mall, 168 Shopping Mall, Binondo, Roxas Boulevard, light rail
- Puerto Princesa: Puerto Princesa Underground River
- Vigan: Dancing Fountain
What to do:
- Passport: carry a photocopy instead of the actual one.
- Valuables: wallet in front pocket, small valuables in a money belt/hidden pouch, large valuables in an anti-theft bag.
- Travel insurance: get a good one that covers theft – check out the various travel insurance comparison platforms to find the best deal that works for you.