How it works:
- Scam: in 2015, rogue airport staff/security personnel planted live bullets in tourists’ luggage. They then accused them of possessing firearms illegally and will demand a bribe. For those who refused to pay, some have been detained for days and charged!
- Situation: in response, locals now wrap their luggage before flying. The scam died off in 2015 with media coverage but reappeared briefly in mid-2018.
Places to beware:
- Metro Manila: Ninoy Aquino International Airport
What to do:
- Luggage: use a hard case luggage without external pockets, or secure all pockets and open spaces of your luggage by using a plastic wrapping service.
- Deterrence: use TSA locks or luggage straps as another layer of protection.