How it works:
- Opening: a local befriends you, and once rapport is built, invites you for a meal with his family.
- Set-up: you meet the family and they show really warm hospitality to gain your trust. They also warn you to beware of pickpockets, but that is a ploy to find out what valuables you have.
- Scam: they suggest doing an activity (could be out of town) together. If you go along, they will wait for the right opportunity to drug your food or drinks with Ativan (a sedative) and steal your valuables. Sexual assaults have been reported too. Ativan will cause you to lose fragments of memory of events that happen while drugged.
Places to beware:
- Metro Manila: Rizal Park, Manila Bay
What to do:
- Avoid engaging strangers who seem overly friendly. One test is to a take a photo together to see his reactions. This also serves as evidence if needed.
- Do not accept food or drinks that you have not seen made in front of you.