How it works:
- Fake police officers will stop you and ask for your ID/passport.
- Once you hand this over, they will hold it hostage, accuse you of a minor crime and demand a fine paid on the spot.
Places to beware:
- Islamabad: Constitution Avenue
What to do:
- Be skeptical: if you have not broken the law.
- Three steps: verify badges and threaten to call the police hotline. Never give your passport – only show a photocopy. Insist you will only comply at a police station with a lawyer or someone from your embassy.
- Valuables: hide in a money belt/hidden pouch and use a cheap spare wallet with little cash which can be given up.