How it works:
- Version 1: rogue taxi driver sends you to a gang which then brings you around different ATMs. You may be held for more than a day if your account has a daily withdrawal limit.
- Version 2: some drivers may also force you to contact friends or family members and ask them to transfer money to secure your release.
Places to beware:
- Islamabad: Red Mosque
What to do:
- Appearance: do not flaunt valuables.
- Limit losses: keep a separate bank account just for traveling with litte cash to give up if threatened.
- Travel insurance: get a good one that covers theft – check out the various travel insurance comparison platforms to find the best deal that works for you.