How it works:
- Situation: despite Oman being pretty much hassle free for tourists, there can still be taxi scams to watch for.
- Overcharging: metered taxis have been rolled-out in 2019 though legally, passengers and drivers can negotiate a fixed fare instead of using the meter. In the past, there have been cases of a fare being negotiated at a start only for the driver to break his promise and quote a larger fare at the end of your trip.
Places to beware:
What to do:
- Sourcing: consider calling for a taxi instead or use a taxi booking app like Marhaba. Alternatively, you can also pre-arrange a pick-up.
- Photo: take a photo of the car plate and driver’s license.
- Overcharging: ensure meter is turned on or research a fair price to negotiate with – check online fare estimators, your hotel/hostel staff or taxi booking apps.