How it works:
- Two versions: strike and run, distract and grab. Possible scenarios:
- Bike/moped: riding past with a pillion rider doing the snatch.
- Train/bus: snatching and getting out just before the doors close; stealing unattended bags/luggage in luggage compartments.
- Street, mall, shop, park, transportation hub: kids ask you to follow them or ask you to help bring them home. You are brought down a dark alley and then robbed.
- Anywhere (hotspots – e.g. Kathmandu: Thamel, Sanepa, Kupondol)
- Check out other hotspots of violent crime
What to do:
- Valuables: avoid laying out on tables or carrying in your hands while walking.
- Bags: consider using lockable bags that can be locked to another object and cross body anti-theft bags (difficult to snatch).
- Travel insurance: get a good one that covers theft – check out the various travel insurance comparison platforms to find the best deal that works for you.