How it works:
- This usually follows on from the unofficial guide
- Once rapport is built, they offer to bring you to their home and meet their families.
- Which tourist will be able to resist immersing in a slice of local culture?
- You will brought to their home which is in an impoverished slum.
- There, a meal may be prepared for you, and family members will share with you tales of their tough life.
- Finally, a “blind” man brings a shoe box over, and they ask if you can help them by buying the shoe box for a price ranging from USD 100 to even USD 650 (!!). They claim this will give them a new lease of life as they can now make a living with it.
- If you do sponsor the box, the money will obviously be split amongst all parties involved.
Places to beware:
- Kathmandu: Durbar Square, Thamel, Swayambhunath Stupa (Monkey Temple), Bishnumati River
What to do:
- Decline as it is a blatant rip-off. However, if you think your unofficial guide has helped you in various ways, feel free to compensate him in any other way you deem fit.