How it works:
- Version 1: taxis are un-metered and drivers can overcharge you with inflated fares.
- Version 2: at the Ayeyarwady River, as you disembark, “helpful” locals will grab your bags so you can cross an unstable plank onto the shore. However, they will throw your bags into a waiting cab which will quote you an insane fare.
Places to beware:
What to do:
- Avoid: taxis at tourist spots (e.g. Ayeyarwady River, Sule Pagoda).
- Photo: take a photo of the taxi number and driver’s license.
- Overcharging: research a fair price to negotiate with – check online fare estimators or with your hotel/hostel staff.
- Alternative: Klook (best day tour platform in Asia) has 10+ other transport options.