How it works:
- Version 1: the money changer hands you half the bills to count. They offer to hold the other half for you as it is a large stack. As you count, they take some pieces out when you aren’t looking.
- Version 2: A crowd may also form and cause you to be distracted. The money changer then puts an elastic band around your money and may again pocket some notes at the same time.
Places to beware:
- Yangon: Sule Pagoda, Bogyoke Market, Yangon International Airport
What to do:
- Use money changers inside banks or hotels and avoid those on the streets.
- Watch very closely for any sleight of hand tricks and always check your notes.