How it works:
- Most food places are fine, it's generally just a few bad eggs around touristy areas that spoil it for the rest.
- Version 1: some restaurants are basic and do not have menus. Some have a menu but without any listed prices. If you do not clarify prices before ordering, you can be exploited.
- Version 2: some will quote a price first only to inflate it later.
Places to beware:
- Yangon: China Town Yangon
What to do:
- Choose: reputable places (use food review apps like MyLann) and avoid those promoted by touts.
- Check: menu (prices, fine print), itemized bill, and do not eat what was not ordered.
- Reputable food tour operators: a reputable operator will ensure that you get to sample the best and the most unique cuisines which Myanmar has to offer while not falling sick. Some reputable local names to consider include Sa Ba Street Food Tours (No.1 food tour operator in Yangon on TripAdvisor), etc.
- Online: Klook (best day tours platform in Asia) also has a couple of food tours.