How it works:
- Opening: a local engages and asks about your life. He then says that he considers you a friend and wants to give you a free tour of the city.
- Set-up: he will bring you to eateries and shops and pressure you to buy so that he can get a commission. At the end, he will ask for an inflated fee to cover the gasoline cost to bringing you around.
Places to beware:
- Yangon: Bogyoke Aung San Market
What to do:
- Nothing is free. If you want a guide, get a licensed, reputable one:
- Offline operators: ask – is the operator licensed? Is there a website, office and working phone number? Are there real online reviews? What does the price cover – is it too cheap?
- Online platforms: Klook (best day tour platform in Asia) also has many popular tours (e.g. Bago, Yangon, Bagan, etc).