How it works:
- Situation: Myanmar is famous for gemstones just like Thailand and Sri Lanka, but this also means that “fakes” (synthetic, or heat treated rubies with glass filling) are rife.
- Set-up: you can be scammed by street touts or shady shops, which claim their sapphires/rubies come from Mogok (the area famous for these).
Places to beware:
- Bagan: Minnanthu Village, Bagan Temples
- Yangon: Bogyoke Aung San Market
What to do:
- Buy from a government owned gem shop, FGA certified shop or a reputable trader which can produce a lab certificate.
- You can also bring a ruby to a gemologist (e.g. Stalwart Gem Laboratory) to confirm its purity.
- If you are cheated, return to the shop and request a refund.