How it works:
- Bike/moped: riding past with a pillion rider doing the snatch.
- Car/taxi/bus: smashing your window and grabbing your valuables at traffic lights/crowded traffic.
- Bar, restaurant: stealing unattended bags/valuables on the chair or table.
- Hotel, airport: where distracted/tired tourists carry all their valuables out.
- ATM: snatching after cash is dispensed from the machine.
Places to beware:
- Anywhere (hotspots – e.g. KLCC Park, Bukit Bintang, Chinatown (Petaling Street), Jalan Tunku Abdul Rahman and around shopping malls)
- Check out other hotspots of violent crime
What to do:
- Valuables: avoid laying out on tables or carrying in your hands while walking.
- Bags: consider using lockable bags that can be locked to another object and cross body anti-theft bags (difficult to snatch).
- Travel insurance: get a good one that covers theft – check out the various travel insurance comparison platforms to find the best deal that works for you.