How it works:
- You receive a professionally designed travel brochure and a scratch card/ticket in the mail, declaring that you have won USD $200,000.
- There will be a link to a professionally designed website and contact on the card. Should you contact the bogus company, you will be made to reveal your personal particulars (e.g. bank details) and asked to make a payment (e.g. few thousand dollars) to cover various fees or taxes.
- After you do so, they disappear, with both your personal particulars and money stolen.
Places to beware:
- Anywhere (examples of fraudulent companies: Get It On Holiday, Desa Sri Travel, Greater View Tours, Best Memories Travel, etc – there are too many to list here)
What to do:
- Ignore, they always reappear but with different company names. If it is too good to be true, it is.
- If you really want to check, you can check if the company is a member of the Malaysian Association of Tour and Travel Agents and if it is registered on the Companies Commission of Malaysia website.