How it works:
- They work in a gang – one onlooker, one blocks, pushes, distracts, or engages you, one grabs and the final hides the loot under a cover (e.g. jacket/newspaper) and escapes.
Places to beware:
- Ipoh: Ipoh Railway Station, D.R. Seenivasagam Park
- Johor Bahru: Legoland Malaysia, Johor Bahru City Square, KSL City Mall, Danga Bay, Jalan Wong Ah Fook
- Kota Kinabalu: Manukan Island, Gaya Street Sunday Market, Night Market, Kota Kinabalu, Filipino Market, Centre Point Sabah
- Kuala Lumpur: Petronas Twin Towers, Jalan Alor, Kuala Lumpur Bird Park, Pavilion KL, KLCC Park, Aquaria KLCC, Thean Hou Temple, National Mosque (Masjid Negara), Suria KLCC Mall, Central Market Kuala Lumpur, Bukit Bintang, KLCC – Bukit Bintang Pedestrian Walkway, Lake Symphony, Berjaya Times Square Kuala Lumpur, Chinatown, Mid Valley Megamall, Kuala Lumpur City Gallery, Sri Maha Mariamman Temple, Merdeka Square, Little India Brickfields, Jamek Mosque, Kuala Lumpur Sentral Railway Station, Jalan Masjid India, Berjaya Time Square Theme Park, SOGO, Kanching Rainforest Waterfall, Chow Kit Market, Sungei Wang Plaza, Kuala Lumpur Convention Centre, Bintang Walk, Lot 10 Shopping Centre, Jalan Tuanku Abdul Rahman, Petaling Street, Ampang point, Sunway Velocity Mall
- Kuching: Satok Weekend Market, Kuching Esplanade
- Langkawi: Cenang Beach, Langkawi Night Market, Beras Basah Island, Eagle Square
- Malacca: Jonker Street, Stadthuys, St. Paul’s Hill & Church (Bukit St. Paul), Red Square (Dutch Square), Christ Church, Chinatown – Melaka
- Perhentian Islands: Long Beach
- Penang: Gurney Plaza, Batu Ferringhi Night Market, Armenian Street, Chew Jetty, Kek Lok Si Temple
- Putrajaya: IOI City Mall
What to do:
- Passport: carry a photocopy instead of the actual one.
- Valuables: wallet in front pocket, small valuables in a money belt/hidden pouch, large valuables in an anti-theft bag.
- Travel insurance: get a good one that covers theft – check out the various travel insurance comparison platforms to find the best deal that works for you.