How it works:
- Opening: a local approaches asks you are from, then claims to have a relative heading to your country! He invites you to his house for a meal, hoping you can provide some advice.
- Set-up: at his house however, you find people gambling. You will be forced to join and play for money. Alcohol or a drugged drink may also be provided to impair your ability to pay attention. You will lose big and will be accosted to the ATM if you do not have enough cash.
Places to beware:
- Kuala Lumpur: KLCC Park, Petronas Twin Towers
What to do:
- Decline such invitations.
- It is also useful to keep a separate bank account just for travelling with little cash inside. If threatened, you can limit your losses by giving this up.