How it works:
- Fake tourist police will show you fake identification and ask to search your bags.
- They will then find some reason to accuse you of a violation and demand you pay a fine on the spot.
Places to beware:
- Kuala Lumpur
What to do:
- Be skeptical: if you have not broken the law.
- Three steps: verify badges and threaten to call the police hotline. Never give your passport – only show a photocopy. Insist you will only comply at a police station with a lawyer or someone from your embassy.
- Valuables: hide in a money belt/hidden pouch and use a cheap spare wallet with little cash which can be given up.