How it works:
- Scam 1: the entry fee is 5,000 kip, but locals posing as officials will try to charge you 25,000 kip.
- Scam 2: unofficial guides.
Places to beware:
- Luang Prabang: Patok Cave
What to do:
- If someone tries this on you, claim you know the price, have paid at the office and walk on.
- There may be good unofficial guides – test for a minute before committing. In general however, they are not worth it. Get a licensed, reputable guide instead:
- Offline operators: ask – is the operator licensed? Is there a website, office and working phone number? Are there real online reviews? What does the price cover – is it too cheap?
- Online platforms: Klook (best day tour platform in Asia) also has many popular tours (e.g. Pak Ou Cave, Kuang Si Waterfall, Tham Nam Cave, etc).