How it works:
- Scam 1: after you have agreed on a price and have made payment, the vendor changes his mind and claims that there are additional fees you have to pay.
- Scam 2: many products here are fakes or low quality products dumped by Chinese/Thai companies.
- Scam 3: using the wrong exchange rates.
- Scam 4: switching notes received to a note of smaller value and asking you to top up.
- Scam 5: returning you less change.
Places to beware:
- Luang Prabang: Luang Prabang Night Market
What to do:
- Confirm the price (amount, currency) and if there are any hidden fees. Try to pay with exact change.