How it works:
- Opening: near the Thai-Lao Friendship Bridge, some drivers may bring you to an unofficial office to “process” your papers for the border crossing.
- Set-up: you will be charged a fee, when it is free to do the same thing at the actual border crossing. Note that you can also be scammed even at the real border crossing, with sometimes unnecessary fees such as stamping fees or fees for a temperature test.
Places to beware:
- Vientiane: Thai-Lao Friendship Bridge
What to do:
- Check your phone’s GPS to make sure you are at the real border crossing.
- Unfortunately, if you are charged the unnecessary expenses as listed above, there is not much you can do besides paying.