How it works:
- Situation: reports of hotel theft in guesthouses and bungalows in rural areas.
- The set-up: Mike Moske, a private investigator who has worked in hotel security for over 2 decades, estimates that 60-70% of hotel thefts are inside jobs.
- Recourse: it is difficult to prove that you have been a victim as there are no signs of forced entry. You may not even know – e.g. opening your safe and taking a photo of your passport or credit cards without physically taking them.
Places to beware:
- Anywhere: e.g. guesthouses, rural bungalows, etc
What to do:
- Hotel safety tools:
- When not in the room: you can use a portable safe or hotel safe lock.
- When in the room: you can use a door lock or door motion alarm.
- Travel insurance:
- Travel insurance: get a good one that covers theft – check out the various travel insurance comparison platforms to find the best deal that works for you.