How it works:
- Situation: fraudulent tour operators and guides are a dime a dozen here.
- Version 1: a bus journey may include several stops at shops. Some may not even bring you to your destination.
- Version 2: being promised comfortable and luxurious transport but ending up on an overcrowded bus or boat that is poorly maintained.
Places to beware:
What to do:
- Offline operators: ask – is the operator licensed? Is there a website, office and working phone number? Are there real online reviews? What does the price cover – is it too cheap?
- Online platforms: Klook (best day tour platform in Asia) also has many popular tours (e.g. Pak Ou Cave, Kuang Si Waterfall, Tham Nam Cave, etc).
- Paying: avoid paying in full upfront (unless reputable operator) or off the (online) platform.