How it works:
- Fake police officers approach and ask to check your ID and belongings.
- They either accuse you of a crime and charge you a fine, or steal what they can find when going through your belongings.
Places to beware:
- Bishkek: Osh Bazaar
What to do:
- Be skeptical: if you have not broken the law.
- Three steps: verify badges and threaten to call the police hotline. Never give your passport – only show a photocopy. Insist you will only comply at a police station with a lawyer or someone from your embassy.
- Valuables: hide in a money belt/hidden pouch and use a cheap spare wallet with little cash which can be given up.