How it works:
- They first quote you first seems like a cheap rate, only to tell you at the end that the rate is actually per KM and not the total price.
- Note that some drivers belong to taxi gangs and can get violent if you do not “comply” with their scams.
- Watch out especially for the touts at the airports or transportation hubs who lead you into unlicensed/unmarked cars where another friend is in the vehicle as well.
What to do:
- Avoid: taxis at tourist spots (e.g. touts at the airport)
- Photo: take a photo of the car plate and driver’s license.
- Overcharging: ensure meter is turned on or research a fair price to negotiate with – check online fare estimators, your hotel/hostel staff or taxi booking apps (e.g. Yandex).